Monday, September 15, 2014

End the Constant Comparing

Posted by Abby at 11:47 AM
Recently, I've been having some difficulties being content with where I am; both geographically and emotionally.  I feel like I'm stuck-- like I'm wasting my time right now when I could be doing something better.  Maybe I'm just having my midlife crisis at 18, who knows?  Either way, I've been kind of bummed out recently and I think a major factor contributing to my bummed-out-ness is that I keep comparing my life to the lives of others, specifically my friends'.


I have friends living in major cities like L.A. and Boston and, as someone who loves and thrives in cities, it is difficult to hear stories of them living it up in big cities when I'm living in a small college town in the middle of nowhere.  They can go to concerts and parties and meet celebrities, as well as get better internships based on their locations, and I have a tendency to dwell on that.  I can't look past what could be if I were somewhere else, instead of taking advantage of the opportunities that I have around me.

This post is going to mainly serve as a reminder for myself.  If we are constantly comparing what we have to what others have, we will never be happy, because someone out there will always have it better than you.  It's all about attitude.  Once you start looking at what you have around you and figure out how your environment can benefit you, everything turns around.  I still have a long way to go until I'm fully happy here, and I know that changing your entire outlook and attitude is easier said than done, but at least I'm trying.

6 comments:

  1. this is so true. I so needed this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post! I have been feeling the exact same way lately and keep having to remind myself of this. Thanks for sharing :)

    ~ Mikéla Davelyn ~
    www.simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently I did a similar post on my blog. This comparison thing has become to common in our society. Lovely blog! :)

    Cylia
    http://noshandchat.blogspot.dk

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really nice post! :) and love your background!

    littlefizzie.com

    ReplyDelete

 

absterdam Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos